Person Hall

Text:
Increase font size
Decrease font size

Person Hall was the second building built on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus and the role of “negro” slave labor is documented in the letters below.  Construction started in 1796 and was completed in 1797 or 1798 (exact date is unknown). Person Hall was the university chapel (attendance was compulsory), as well as the commencement hall and community gathering place. In 1837, Gerrard Hall replaced Person Hall as the university chapel, and Person Hall became a classroom building. 

Person Hall is named for Brigadier-General Thomas Person, Revolutionary War soldier and member of the 1776 North Carolina Constitutional Convention, who contributed $1,050 toward its construction.

Additional Resources:

Letter from Joseph Caldwell to John H. Hobart, dated 8 November 1796, found in the University of North Carolina Papers #40005, University Archives, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Letter from William R. Davie to John Haywood, dated 9 February 1797, found in the Ernest Haywood Collection of Haywood Family Papers #1290, Southern Historical Collection, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Letter from William R. Davie to John Haywood, dated 20 August 1797, found in the Ernest Haywood Collection of Haywood Family Papers #1290Southern Historical CollectionWilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.