Spencer Dormitory

Text:
Increase font size
Decrease font size

This was the first dormitory for female students at UNC.  It is named after Cornelia Phillips Spencer (1825-1908) a controversial figure at the University.  Two slaves that were owned by her family are buried in the Old Chapel Hill Cemetery (see the Dilsey Craig grave.)  The site of her brother’s (Samuel Phillips) law offices is situated diagonally across from Spencer Dormitory.  He was part of the reconstruction government of North Carolina. Mrs. Spencer, along with the Confederate Memorial (a.k.a. Silent Sam), and Saunders Hall have become symbolic of the uses of history on campus, and all have provoked re-centering of historical knowledge.